ArchitectureEditIt is a post modernly-designed, 35-story high skyscraper that is a total of 490 feet high. The building was nearing completion in 1987. Like many skyscrapers, it features stairwells, elevator shafts, pipe shafts, offices, and a roof, all of which John McClane utilizes to his advantage to defeat all 13 terrorists that take it over.
On Christmas Eve, 1988, a group of terrorists led by Hans Gruber took the Nakatomi employees hostage during their Christmas party. Although the group of terrorists appeared to be motivated by freeing political prisoners, they were actually after $640 million in negotiable bearer bonds and other valuables stored in the company's vault and were planning on killing the hostages in an explosion so they could escape unnoticed.
John McClane, an off-duty NYPD officer that came to LA to spend Christmas with his estranged wife and children, managed to slip away from the terrorists and hide in the top five floors of the building, where he slipped around in the shadows, used his surroundings to his advantage and started a one-man war with the terrorists, destroying much of the building in the process, with no help from the LAPD (except Al Powell), who do not want to gamble with the lives of the hostages.
The skyscraper was nearing completion at the time, but was finished an is now Fox Plaza.
- Parking Garage
- Floor 1: Entry
- Floor 3: Floor where James and Alexander are killed
- Floor 30: Nakatomi Corporation (Christmas party) (vault)
- Floor 31: Nakatomi Offices (board room)
- Floor 32: Under construction
- Floor 33: Computers
- Floor 34: Models and conference rooms
- Floor 35: Under construction (roof access)
- Piping system (explosives) (elevator and ventilation shaft) (chains)
- Roof (Helipad, fire hose)